Blessings from the State Capitol in Boise, Idaho! We are now eight weeks into the 2020 legislative session, and Family Policy Alliance of Idaho® is working hard to promote public policies that make Idaho a place where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive and life is cherished.
Three quick updates:
- “Choose Life” Specialty License Plate (Senate Bill 1249): I am happy to share with you that SB1249 has passed both legislative chambers and is on its way to the governor’s desk to be signed into law. This legislation creates a new “Choose Life” specialty license plate that will provide much-needed funds to pregnancy resource centers that offer compassionate care and support to women facing unexpected pregnancies. The legislation was sponsored by Sen. Regina Bayer (R-Meridian) and Rep. Brent Crane (R-Nampa).
- Six-Month Contraceptive Mandate (Senate Bill 1275): Another victory this legislative session is the defeat of SB1275, which would have required that insurance companies cover a six-month supply of contraception. Yet the drugs listed as “contraceptives” by the bill included abortifacients like “Plan B” and “Ella”—drugs that end a pregnancy after conception by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting and receiving the nutrition it needs to survive. This legislation, which was sponsored by Senator Cherie Buckner-Webb (D-Boise) and supported by Planned Parenthood, was killed in the Senate with a 13-20 vote.
- Genital Mutilation (House Bill 465): HB 465 would have prohibited providing children struggling with gender dysphoria with experimental drugs and irreversible sex reassignment surgeries causing infertility and sterility. Sadly, this legislation has died in House committee. It was sponsored by Rep. Christy Zito (R-Hammett).
Legislation to follow:
- Fairness in Women’s Sports Act (House Bill 500): This legislation, sponsored by Rep. Barbara Ehardt (R-Idaho Falls) would protect girls’ and women’s sports by requiring the athletes play in sports of their biological sex. It has passed the House of Representatives and is on its way to Senate committee.
- Defund Abortion Providers (House Bill 525): This legislation would ban cities and counties from giving public money (your tax dollars!) to providers of abortion (ahem, Planned Parenthood). It is sponsored by Representatives Bryan Zollinger (R-Idaho Falls) and Christy Zito (R-Hammett) and is currently working its way through the House.
- Vital Records Act (House Bill 509): This legislation would ensure that the quantifiable facts recorded in birth certificates—including sex, place and time of birth, and length and weight—reflect the facts as they existed at time of birth. HB509 passed the House of Representatives on Thursday and will be going to Senate committee. It is sponsored by Rep. Julianne Young (R-Blackfoot) and Senator Steve Vick (R-Dalton Gardens).
Thanks to everyone who has sent messages to their legislators through our Action Center. More action alerts will be sent out as session continues. It is important that your legislators know how you feel—this is biblical citizenship in action!